Tuesday, May 14, 2019

A Slow Start to Spring


Mid-May was when the daffodils started to bloom at Oak Hill Lodge this year. The nights were still going down into the 30's and low 40's and the days are only getting up  to the high 40's and low 50's.
My hostas are just tiny fingers protruding from the soil. The soil is still so wet, it is stopping me from doing my much loved edging. You can see the first few blossoms on the magnolia in the background of the fully blooming weeping cherry. The grass is just starting to green up, though "City Folk" have already been mowing. The ground phlox is not yet blooming. I am thankful for the number of spring bulbs that I have planted as without them, the gardens would seem glum. Please, Mother Nature... reward us for our long winter with some heat!!!

No comments: