Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Downeast Magazine


Last spring, we were fortunate enough to be contacted by Downeast Magazine to see if we would be willing to do a photo shoot during the summer which would hopefully be published in one of this summer's magazines. It was a banner year for me in my efforts to become a good gardener. I was chosen as Gardener of the Year for Maine by the Maine Federation of Garden Clubs in the spring and then in the fall, turns out they had submitted me to the New England Federation and I was chosen Best Gardener in New England! After being approached by Downeast, I knew I had reached a pinnacle in my trial and error gardening career! Of course, this meant lots of primping to be ready for the photographer. Edging, mowing and trimming... deadheading, weeding and watering, all had to be done on a much more regular basis that ever before. Pots that normally lay empty were filled with annuals to be ready to be placed in an area that was "lacking color". The photographer came in early August and the interview took place late March, about the time I was beginning to worry perhaps our story had hit the "cutting room floor". Both the photographer and the interviewer were so nice and made the whole experience really fun. The article just came out in the June edition and Eric and I have been having a blast hearing from friends who were either surprised to see it or who were waiting like we were, to see if it made the cut.

No comments: