Monday, June 30, 2014

A New Hosta Bed - June 29,2014


After my annual spring visit to Herb Hidu in Sheepscot and a trip to the Viles Arboretum for the 2014 Maine Hosta Society's Auction, I am the proud owner of about 25 new hostas. Some are new varieties for me and some are repeats of my favorites. I enjoy placing them in groupings and trying to be creative with patterns of colors now that I am not strictly on a binge to add new varieties. There is an area part way down toward Acorn Cottage that just begs for a garden. Before any cutting began, there was a sort of clearing in the tangle of pines that makes up most of the land we have yet to clean up. I know it was once part of my Grandpa's garden, so the soil will be tremendous. It simply needed several trees cut down and much branching of the remaining trees. We will go back during the winter and remove three more of the larger trees which are on the edge of where the lawn begins, but they are likely to fall on my perennial garden, so best to wait until we have snow cover. Not to mention the fact that after working about six hours in the heat, we were ready for our evening wine and garden tour! Now there remains the tilling which will take some time, but it will be a lovely spot for my new plants. 

No comments: