Monday, August 31, 2009

Late August Blooms

The summer of 2009 has broken every record for rainfall since the Weather Bureau has kept such records. The gardens of Oak Hill bear witness to this. Usually by the time September is upon us, the gardens have wilted back from the hot, dry month of August and the grass is more brown than green. Not so this year! The gardens are literally spilling over their beds and I have had to prune the shrubs three times already to curb all the new growth. There have been some negatives as well such as a formidible crop of slugs who have turned many a hosta leaf to lace; a nasty case of powdery mildew on my phlox, which luckily did not seem to affect their ability to bloom, and a curious blight which hit all the lower leaves of my tomatoes and asters. I find great humor in the fact that this was the year I was given an irrigation system for my garden for my birthday. Hmmmm, well I'll still have it next year.

2 comments:

BALLET NEWS said...

Good morning - I just had to stop by and leave you a note because you have the most wonderfully fabulous blog. I've loved reading your interesting posts, all very creative and great pictures too. What could be more perfect ? Thanks for sharing them all and best wishes...

Oak Hill Princess said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments. It is just so much fun to share the beauty of the Lodge with others! Selfishly, it keeps us motivated. Thanks for checking on us!